[CFP] Conference 2022 – Urban and Regional PE Working Group
CFP: Urban and Regional Political Economy Stream
Socio-Ecological Crisis and the Political Economy of Sustainability
12th Annual Conference of the International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy
7 – 9 September 2022, Bologna, Italy
The Urban and Regional Working Group calls for submission of abstracts for individual papers or panels on Urban and Regional Political Economy at the IIPPE Conference, September 7-9, 2022, following the successful streams at IIPPE conferences since 2010. We seek papers on any aspect of the political economy of localities and regions (sub-national territories), both rural and urban, and both Majority and Minority Worlds. Papers may be either purely theoretical or theorised empirical studies. We seek papers both on processes/relations within localities and regions and on processes/relations linking these scales to national and international scales. Possible fields include:
- the roles of the local and national state in urban development, including new forms of urban entrepreneurialism, new municipalism, financialisation, the roles of the state
- climate adaptation and local state restructuring, including climate change mitigation strategies for cities, green financing of urban development
- the interactions between production and social reproduction within localities, and the production of class, gender and racial/ethnic relations and of working class cultures between these two spheres
- the political economy of municipal financial mechanisms: new financial mechanisms and tools (i.e. municipal bonds, green municipal bonds, social bonds, land value capture)
- debtfare states at the local level: municipal debt, financialisation of infrastructure (i.e. transportation, water, and other public services)
- the production of the formal and informal city, and the relationship between the two
- struggles of the working class, social and territorial movements around any of the above issues
Papers should be within Marxist or critical political-economy, and approach the issues from the point of view of the labouring classes, peasants and/or oppressed people. We invite paper that address either or the Global South and the Global North.
To submit a proposal, please go to the following link, and carefully follow the instructions there: https://whova.com/portal/registration/iippe_202209/
IMPORTANT: Please indicate URBAN AND REGIONAL WORKING GROUP when you complete the electronic form.
The deadline for abstracts and proposals is 30 April 2022.
If you have further questions related to the Urban and Regional Working Group, please contact the coordinators by sending an email to:
Ozlem Celik, University of Helsinki (email@example.com)
Angus McNelly, University of Greenwich (firstname.lastname@example.org)