[CFP] Conference 2018 – Political Economy of China’s Development Working Group
Call for Paper 9th Annual IIPPE Conference
Political Economy of China’s Development Working Group
Pula, Croatia 12-14 September 2018
China’s grand plan for the New Belt and Road Initiative is advancing rapidly, forging new partnerships and alliances across the world. The new global policies are shaping the political economy of the world system, and many countries in the South are increasingly attracted by the Chinese development model.
The legitimacy and interest in state planning are likely to revive in many countries over the coming decades, where central state planning will regulate and direct the economic productive forces, to the contrary of the neoliberal doctrines. The China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and China Development Bank may pose direct challenges to the policies and practices of the World Bank and the IMF and provide resources for an alternative development model, especially in terms of industrialisation in Africa, Asia and South America. This raises a number of questions such as:
- How can the Belt and Road Initiative shape the future of the global political economy?
- Is China’s “going global” part and parcel of neoliberalism, or is it rather a countervailing force to global neoliberalisation?
- What has been China’s policy and political-economic response to the global economic crisis, and how does the response impact world development?
- Is the rise of China a challenge to the global capitalist system?
- What are the responses from the US Government to China’s increasingly influential role in Africa, Asian and South America?
These are just a few of the big questions that this Working Group are exploring, and we also welcome papers that can contribute to the understanding of the historical and contemporary political economy of China.
The submission deadline for abstracts is 15 March 2018. Submissions must be done via this website electronic application forms to IIPPE.
For further information, please visit IIPPE website http://iippe.org
IIPPE China Working Group