[Joint CFP] Conference 2021 – Urban and Regional PE and Neoliberalism WGs
CFP: Urban and Regional Political Economy and Neoliberalism Stream, IIPPE Online Conference, September 12-19, 2021
Deadline for Submission of Abstracts: May 15, 2021
The Urban and Regional Political Economy and Neoliberalism working groups of IIPPE welcome contributions on the theme of how neoliberalism is transforming cities. We are especially interested in papers linking urban political economy and financial geography. The new relationship between local governments, national states and financial markets is taking different forms in different geographies under neoliberalism, resulting in high financial risks and a significant change in the structure of local and national governments. Following this framework, we particularly welcome papers on:
- Restructuring of local state at the time of financialisation.
- The roles the state plays in financialisation of urban development (i.e. housing, transportation)
- Debtfare states at the local level: municipal debt, financialisation of infrastructure (i.e. transportation, water, and other public services).
- The political economy of municipal financial mechanisms: new financial mechanisms and tools (i.e. municipal bonds, green municipal bonds, land value capture).
- Financialisation and retrenchment of local social welfare services (i.e. social housing)
If you have further questions, please contact the coordinators by sending an email to:
Ozlem Celik, University of Helsinki (email@example.com)
Angus McNelly, Queen Mary University of London (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alfredo Saad-Filho, King’s College London (email@example.com)
Joanne Tomkinson, SOAS University of London (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submit a paper or panel proposal
The process for submitting proposals will be largely identical to our standard procedure, and can be accessed through the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe3_78yQu4jJHJHteokZ1nje4Gonr6MNYd7zn-2rhT_uF-JHg/viewform
The Electronic Proposal Form (EPF) will be opened on the IIPPE website (www.iippe.org) on April 15. As usual, submissions may be made as (a) proposals for individual papers (which IIPPE will group into panels), (b) proposals for panels, (c) proposals for streams of panels, or (d) proposals on activism. The EPF will be closed on May 15, and notification of acceptances will be sent out by May 31. Full details of the call for papers for this year’s IIPPE conference are copied below.
Important, please note: please select the Urban and Regional Political Economy Working Group when you make your submission.
Leave a Reply