IIPPE Training Workshop: Political Economy and Africa (26 March 2018)
Join International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy (IIPPE) for our next Training Workshop
Date: 26 March 2018
Place: Room B202, in the Brunei Gallery, SOAS, University of London
- 9.30am: Registration
- 10am to 1pm: Trajectories of neoliberalism in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ewa Karwowski: Financialisation and neoliberalism in post-apartheid South Africa
- Elisa van Waeyenberge and Hannah Bargawi on the transition from structural adjustment to development plans (by way of Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers) in Uganda
- 2pm to 6pm:
- Theoretical session: Development of capitalism and the development of underdevelopment (overview of debates on imperialism and potential for revolutionary change)
- Thematic Session: Labour and surplus population (overview of debates on structural transformation and agrarian change)
- With: the Editorial Working Group members of the Review of African Political Economy, including Hannah Cross, Elisa Greco and Matteo Rizzo
This Workshop will appeal to undergraduate and postgraduate students, junior academics and activists who have a particular interest in acquainting themselves with the relevance of Marxian political economy to the contemporary world.
Pre-registration is essential because of room capacity constraints.