IIPPE Training Workshop: Imperialism Today
Monday 27 June 2016
The International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy (IIPPE) announces a one-day training workshop on imperialism, with the following speakers: Lucia Pradella, Tony Norfield, John Smith and Michael Roberts.
Venue: London: SOAS, (Vernon Square campus), room V111
A small charge of £5 per attendee will be levied to cover costs.
- 09:30-09:55 Registration
- 09:55-10.00 Introduction (Simon Mohun)
- 10:00-11:20 Lucia Pradella: Marx ahead of Lenin: The current relevance of Marx’s theory of imperialism
- 11:20-11:40 Coffee/tea
- 11:40-13:00 John Smith: Imperialism and the globalisation of production
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch (only snacks supplied)
- 14:00-15:20 Tony Norfield: The role of finance in the imperialist world economy
- 15:20-15:40 Coffee/tea
- 15:40-16:30 Michael Roberts: Commentary
- 16.30-17.30 Lucia Pradella, John Smith, Tony Norfield, Michael Roberts: Panel and Audience Discussion
Notes on the speakers
Lucia Pradella is the author of Globalization and the Critique of Political Economy: New Insights from Marx’s Writings, London: Routledge, 2014, and of L’Attualità del Capitale, Padua, Il Poligrafo, 2010; and is the editor (with Thomas Marois) of Polarizing Development, London: Pluto Press, 2014
Tony Norfield is the author of The City: London and the Global Power of Finance, London: Verso, 2016.
John Smith is the author of Imperialism in the Twenty-First Century: Globalization, Super-Exploitation, and Capitalism’s Final Crisis, New York: Monthly Review Press, 2016 [Winner of the first Paul A. Baran-Paul M. Sweezy Memorial Award].
Michael Roberts is the author of The Long Depression, London: Haymarket Books, forthcoming 2016; Essays on Inequality, London: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014; The Great Recession, London: lulu.com, 2009.
How to register:
- Send an email to Simon Mohun <email@example.com> saying that you wish to attend.
- Bring £5 with you on 27 June towards expenses.